As delivered in the IBM SECadministrations, IBM’s Power Systems proceeds grew by 17% in the last quarter of 2018, graduating the growth to the achievement of it its POWER9 processors. In the article “Hana on Power” by Andreas Klaus Span, Director & Business Unit Executive, Cognitive Solution Sales & SAP HANA on Power, Span expressed and declared his appreciation of IBM’s Power Systems associations and technology assimilation with SAP, with POWER9’s further expansion to adequately support and reinforce the SAP Business Suite. He depicted the three conditions that companies crave and fascinate from their IT landscape: guaranteed cohesion and durability, expanding performance, and investment and expenditure protection. He said that P9 is the most stable, durable and skilled platform on the market today that would state and would make these needs. In only about three years, Power has been the podium of choice for mission-captious enterprise circumstances with over 2250 clients worldwide. Span mentioned that IBM’s own research has shown that their company has a 20 percent market share in the HANA business. This would have expanded to 25 percent after Intel declared in the Sapphire in Orlando last May that they had a market share of 75 percent in HANA. Moreover, he indicated that the company will continue to utilize AIX, a series of proprietary Unix operating systems developed and sold by IBM for several of its computer platforms, with a definitive roadmap until 2028 for investment and asset protection package to grant customers arrange long-term and arrange transitions.
The Potential in P9
Since P9’s existence in the market in 2018, IBM doubtlessly went beyond just improving its Power products. P9’s development was based on the years of experiences in the cognitive, AI, and SAP area, keeping the entire Power platform is still approved and ascertained for HANA (from scale-out boxes with up to 24 cores and 4 TB RAM and Midrange E950 with up to 48 cores and 16 TB RAM to Enterprise E980 with up to 192 cores and 64 TB RAM).
• Power 9 has twice as much core achievement and administration and 1.4 times more memory than x86
• Power 9 has 1.5 times as much administration, twice as much memory and offers 50 percent better scalability VS Power 8.
• Power 9 authority upgraded and modernized thread performance, optimized analytical processes, and intense and excess data with alternation and modernization in the area of next-gen memory.
• Power 9 offers two memory architectures: Scale-out (Direct Attach Memory) with up to 170 GB/s, and Scale-up (Buffered Memory) with up to 230 GB/s per compartment and with extreme capacity and quantity. (up to 8 TB/socket).
• Power 9 achieves up to 50 percent cost savings in two to three years VS Power 7 having three times more performance/core, more than 12 percent additional accommodations, and 60 percent core reduction; reducing licensing and maintenance fees.
The Gains of SAP HANA on Power
• IBM received the SAP Pinnacle Award “SAP Global Partner of the Year – Infrastructure” in 2018
• IBM received three SAP Innovation Awards in Q1 of 2019 namely: “Breakthrough in protein analysis advances war on cancer” together with the University of Munich; “Sustainable shopping and vision of Zero Waste: Coop improving their customer experience with AI” together with Coop Switzerland; and again with the Indus Motors Toyota Company
• More than 60 CSPs and MSPs are directly using IBM Power with their SAP workloads
• SAP cloud market shifted towards IBM Power, counting the companies Syntax, Intelligence, CTAC, Seidor, Dedagroup, and D.F.I.
In Hasso Plattner’s Sapphire 2019 keynote, he fairly said that exodus to HANA is catching elongated than projection, the reason why they will tolerate to uphold classic and common SAP solutions until 2025 and beyond, if conclusive. The elongation of the SAP ecosystem endures as noted in the steep advance of Hana on Linux on Power, counting ISV solutions that extend the reach of Hana on Power (HoP).
IBM will start offering Power 9 systems for SAP assignments (including SAP Hana) in the IBM Cloud this year having accomplished the enormous failures on x86 and lack of competitiveness compared to AWS and others. Span explain and eludicate a good balance harmony between on-prem systems and cloud guarantees a stable, secure, manageable, and cost-efficient IT strategy as experienced and qualified by one of their most successful partners, Syntax. With IBM’s collaboration with the Hasso Plattner Institute in Potsdam, Germany since 2016, the company lengthens its defense to the academic sector. They have been contributing an online course titled “Future in Computing -IBM Power 9 and beyond” on openHPI.de, since May this year reaching 1,500 participants. Realizing how SAP and IBM have profitably built a vigorous HANA habitat, Span said that the company is confident in increasing its market share to 50% considering the number of companies yet to utilize the HANA Platform.